New York News
Police seek car in Brownsville drive-by shooting
BROWNSVILLE (WABC) -- There was some thought that perhaps the wounded little girl would be released from Brookdale hospital on Tuesday. While she remains there, police do have some new evidence they want you to see.
Investigators hope someone might recognize a white Volkswagen Jetta seen on video captured by security cameras along Riverdale Avenue and spotted by a 17 year old who police say was the intended target of a drive-by shooting on Sunday.
"He then saw the individual drive by in a white car. Initially this car was a Nissan. Sitting in the passenger seat he fired," NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly said.
But caught in a hail of gunfire from the car, six innocent people, including 25-year old Michael Prince as he desperately tried to shield his two-year-old daughter Ariyana. Four others are seen in cell phone video being treated by paramedics after the moments of panic.
"I am about to relocate. I'm terrified. It's just getting too crazy. It's the kids," Andrea Butler said. "They gotta stop. They gotta stop."
Butler, a grandmother, came outside for the first time since Sunday's shooting with her granddaughter, running errands. She like many others now move cautiously through their neighborhood, past the posters offering a $12-thousand dollar reward for information, past an increase in police patrols stopping to question everyone.
"It's bad man. Can't even chill in your own neighborhood. That's sad. Can't hang on top of your own porch," resident Keith Gordon said.
These latest shootings, like others recently, have made victims of innocent people who only want to be safe in their neighborhood, but now find themselves worried that they might be the next victims.
"I got to go to the store. You gotta do things. You just have to be aware of your surroundings. That's all I can tell you," butler said.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, brownsville, shooting, new york news, tim fleischer
- 4 people shot in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- ESPN: Phil Jackson signs with Knicks
- raw video: New video just after East Harlem Explosion
- Workers remove rubble in East Harlem
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- Photos: Several vehicles on fire in New Jersey
- Teen shot, apparently by brother, in Queens
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Westchester animal shelter in danger of collapsing