New York News
Harlem basketball tournament resumes after shooting
HARLEM (WABC) -- The famous Rucker Streetball Tournament was kicking on Tuesday night in Harlem. This time, with far fewer fans, but a beefed up presence and security that looked far more like Kennedy Airport than Upper Manhattan.
Backpacks were searched and bodies were patted down.
Five people were shot last week when gunfire erupted during a game. None of the injuries were life-threatening. 24-year-old Ricardo Laing of White Plains was arrested and charged with five counts of attempted murder.
The tournament was shut down while organizers increased security. While the players were still good, the fans were still worried.
The tournament, which has survived for decades in Harlem, will go on Wednesday night as well.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, harlem, shooting, new york news, jim dolan
- Mike Woodson out as head coach of Knicks 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Retired NYPD officer charged in wife's murder
- Brooklyn man dies in skydiving accident in New Jersey
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Boston Marathon goes off under tight security
- Teen survives flight riding in wheel well of Hawaii jet
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Coney Island double stabbing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Lindsay Lohan admits miscarriage on her reality show
- Photos: Lindsay Lohan in pictures
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos