New York News
Harlem basketball tournament resumes after shooting
HARLEM (WABC) -- The famous Rucker Streetball Tournament was kicking on Tuesday night in Harlem. This time, with far fewer fans, but a beefed up presence and security that looked far more like Kennedy Airport than Upper Manhattan.
Backpacks were searched and bodies were patted down.
Five people were shot last week when gunfire erupted during a game. None of the injuries were life-threatening. 24-year-old Ricardo Laing of White Plains was arrested and charged with five counts of attempted murder.
The tournament was shut down while organizers increased security. While the players were still good, the fans were still worried.
The tournament, which has survived for decades in Harlem, will go on Wednesday night as well.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, harlem, shooting, new york news, jim dolan
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- New measles cases confirmed in New York City 47 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos