New York News
Harlem basketball tournament resumes after shooting
HARLEM (WABC) -- The famous Rucker Streetball Tournament was kicking on Tuesday night in Harlem. This time, with far fewer fans, but a beefed up presence and security that looked far more like Kennedy Airport than Upper Manhattan.
Backpacks were searched and bodies were patted down.
Five people were shot last week when gunfire erupted during a game. None of the injuries were life-threatening. 24-year-old Ricardo Laing of White Plains was arrested and charged with five counts of attempted murder.
The tournament was shut down while organizers increased security. While the players were still good, the fans were still worried.
The tournament, which has survived for decades in Harlem, will go on Wednesday night as well.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, harlem, shooting, new york news, jim dolan
- London theatre roof collapses; Dozens injured 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Secret Sales: Last minute holiday gifts
- Bus accident on Route 3 in Clifton
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- NYC 's smoking ban to include e-cigarettes 29 min ago
- 4 juveniles charges in possible knockout attacks
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos