New York News
Harlem basketball tournament resumes after shooting
HARLEM (WABC) -- The famous Rucker Streetball Tournament was kicking on Tuesday night in Harlem. This time, with far fewer fans, but a beefed up presence and security that looked far more like Kennedy Airport than Upper Manhattan.
Backpacks were searched and bodies were patted down.
Five people were shot last week when gunfire erupted during a game. None of the injuries were life-threatening. 24-year-old Ricardo Laing of White Plains was arrested and charged with five counts of attempted murder.
The tournament was shut down while organizers increased security. While the players were still good, the fans were still worried.
The tournament, which has survived for decades in Harlem, will go on Wednesday night as well.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, harlem, shooting, new york news, jim dolan
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center 11 min ago
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos 10 min ago
- Video shows burglar cashing in lotto tickets in Queens
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin 1 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- Suspect in Myls Dobson murder due in court
- New York City pre-K signups end on Wednesday
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ...
11 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos