New York News
August kicks off with more violence in Brooklyn
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police are investigating a double shooting in Brooklyn early Wednesday that left two people dead.
Officers responded to reports of shots fired on Georgia Avenue in Brownsville around 12:30 a.m.
They found 28-year-old Mario Mejia with a shotgun wound to the head. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Also shot was 24-year-old Leonardo Saravia, who was shot in the leg and died on the way to the hospital.
The victims were reportedly from Guatemala and may have been related.
"It's happening everywhere, every day," said Araceli Nunez, a relative of one of the victims. "Something has to be done about the availability of the guns out on the streets. We need to provide our youths with better opportunities, better tools, not guns."
Investigators are searching for the shooter. They say Saravia lived at the Georgia Avenue address where the shooting happened. No guns have been recovered, and no arrests have been made.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, brownsville, murder, shooting, new york news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife
- NJ police investigating deadly skydiving accident
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon 10 min ago
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation 49 min ago