New York News
Photo released of Lower Manhattan mugging suspect
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The hunt is on for a serial mugger in Lower Manhattan who has robbed at least 16 people since May.
The incidents have mostly taken place on the Lower East Side and in the East Village. Half of the attacks have happened in or just outside of East River Park.
Now, police are hoping a new clue will help them catch the thief.
The suspect, described as a black male in his 30s, 5-foot-9 to 6-feet tall with a dark complexion, thin mustache and thin beard, was last seen wearing a gray hoody, gray pants and black sneakers.
The first incident happened on May 5 inside the elevator of a Avenue C building just before 7:30 p.m. The man approached a 59-year-old woman, simulated a firearm and demanded the woman's chain.
He most recently robbed a 56-year-old man of his wallet on Roosevelt Drive at 10:30 p.m. on Friday, July 20.
Residents say they have been hearing about the incidents all summer and have been waiting for more information about the suspect and what to look for.
"It's sad, because there's a lot of females that come home from work late, they're seen coming in and out of the building with their children," East Village resident Mia Garcia said. "So we really don't know what he's capable of. I really want him caught, because I don't feel safe."
In each case, the suspect approaches victims in various locations, displays or simulates a weapon (firearm or knife), threatens the victims and demands personal property. The victims were not injured as a result of the robberies.
All the incidents happened late at night and also included thefts of cell phones and other electronics.
Anyone with information in regard to this incident or the identity and whereabouts of these suspects is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477).
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, lower east side, lower manhattan, east village, robbery, burglary, manhattan, mugging, new york news
- Missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy possibly found 46 min ago
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC 43 min ago
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins 30 min ago
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UCONN sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing
- CT hockey referee arrested after removing child from ice
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy possibly...
46 min ago