New York News
Photo released of Lower Manhattan mugging suspect
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The hunt is on for a serial mugger in Lower Manhattan who has robbed at least 16 people since May.
The incidents have mostly taken place on the Lower East Side and in the East Village. Half of the attacks have happened in or just outside of East River Park.
Now, police are hoping a new clue will help them catch the thief.
The suspect, described as a black male in his 30s, 5-foot-9 to 6-feet tall with a dark complexion, thin mustache and thin beard, was last seen wearing a gray hoody, gray pants and black sneakers.
The first incident happened on May 5 inside the elevator of a Avenue C building just before 7:30 p.m. The man approached a 59-year-old woman, simulated a firearm and demanded the woman's chain.
He most recently robbed a 56-year-old man of his wallet on Roosevelt Drive at 10:30 p.m. on Friday, July 20.
Residents say they have been hearing about the incidents all summer and have been waiting for more information about the suspect and what to look for.
"It's sad, because there's a lot of females that come home from work late, they're seen coming in and out of the building with their children," East Village resident Mia Garcia said. "So we really don't know what he's capable of. I really want him caught, because I don't feel safe."
In each case, the suspect approaches victims in various locations, displays or simulates a weapon (firearm or knife), threatens the victims and demands personal property. The victims were not injured as a result of the robberies.
All the incidents happened late at night and also included thefts of cell phones and other electronics.
Anyone with information in regard to this incident or the identity and whereabouts of these suspects is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477).
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, lower east side, lower manhattan, east village, robbery, burglary, manhattan, mugging, new york news
- Authorities: Hofstra student killed by police
- AccuWeather: Showers Show Up
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 1 winning ticket sold for record Powerball jackpot
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus
- U.S. Air plane makes belly landing at Newark Airport
- Vito Lopez says he will resign effective Monday
- Official: Broken rail eyed in Metro North crash
- Police say fatal Greenwich Village shooting a hate crime
- Oxbow wins the Preakness Stakes
- Pacers knock out Knicks with win in Game 6
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut