New York News
19 charged in crack-dealing sweep in Manhattan
MANHATTAN -- Authorities say they've made a sweeping move to dismantle drug dealing that turned living in some Manhattan housing complexes into running a gantlet of crack cocaine peddlers.
Nineteen people were being arraigned Thursday on conspiracy and other charges.
Police and prosecutors say the 19 ran two loose-knit drug-dealing groups, called "20 BLOCC" and "Flow Boyz."
Authorities say the groups sold crack in playgrounds and elsewhere in and around the Wagner Houses and Taino Towers in East Harlem.
Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus R. Vance Jr. says families had to dart past drug dealers to get around.
Police Organized Crime Control Bureau Chief Anthony Izzo says the dealers thought they were immune from law enforcement, but the arrests proved them wrong.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, manhattan, crime, drug arrest, drug bust, new york news
- Man hit 3 times in Brooklyn police-involved shooting 6 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Comfortable 21 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- FDNY rescues worker trapped in Queens trench
- Woman allegedly kicks police dog in teeth
- Box cutter found on Tokyo flight to NYC
- Upper East Side convenience store robbed at gunpoint
- Man beaten with a bat and brick for his iPod
- LIRR: Near normal commute expected Wednesday
- Patriots' Aaron Hernandez questioned in murder
- Heat beat Spurs 103-100 in Game 6
- Photos: FDNY works to rescue man trapped in trench
- Photos: Most Wanted: Nassau County
- AccuWeather Forecast: Comfortable
21 min ago