New York News
Lower Manhattan mugging suspect arrested
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police have arrested the man they say is responsible for at least 16 muggings in the East Village and on the Lower East Side.
Dion Whitehead was arrested Thursday night on four counts of robbery.
Police say the muggings began back in May, with Whitehead going after a new victim every few days.
He has prior arrests for attempted murder and drug charges.
The first incident happened on May 5 inside the elevator of a Avenue C building just before 7:30 p.m. The man approached a 59-year-old woman, simulated a firearm and demanded the woman's chain.
Police say he most recently robbed a 56-year-old man of his wallet on Roosevelt Drive at 10:30 p.m. on Friday, July 20.
In each case, the suspect approached victims in various locations, displayed or simulated a weapon (firearm or knife), threatened the victims and demanded personal property. The victims were not injured as a result of the robberies.
All the incidents happened late at night and also included thefts of cell phones and other electronics.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, lower east side, lower manhattan, east village, robbery, burglary, manhattan, mugging, new york news
- Weather puts damper on Coney Island businesses 28 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds 11 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Arrest made in Charles Butler case 27 min ago
- Weather puts damper on start of holiday weekend
- Brooklyn Bridge reopens after car fire 14 min ago
- Residents protest bike sharing program
- Bruins eliminate Rangers with 3-1 win in Game 5
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- Christie and Snooki face off at Jersey shore
- Protesters across globe rally against Monsanto
- abcnews: Cruise Passenger Bill of Rights Introduced
- Photos: Kickoff to a Long Island Summer photos
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
11 min ago