New York News
Sailboat gets stuck under bridge in East River
NEW YORK (WABC) -- It was an unplanned adventure for a sailboat near Roosevelt Island Saturday.
The yacht's mast got stuck under the Roosevelt Island Bridge in the East River, and was lodged there for two hours.
Police had to pull people from the boat onto a marine rescue unit while it was removed.
The bridge was damaged, but it's not clear how the boat got stuck.
The Roosevelt Island Bridge is a lift bridge that connects Roosevelt Island to Astoria in Queens, crossing the East Channel of the East River.
It is the sole route to the island for vehicular and foot traffic (without using public transportation).
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, east river, boating, boat accident, new york news
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush shooting 29 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 11 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Chelsea Clinton announces she is pregnant
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 53 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry...
53 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
11 min ago