New York News
Teen claims police manhandled her over Metrocard
NEW YORK (WABC) -- 15-year-old Harlem high school student Alexis Sumpter claims she was man handled and handcuffed by police because they thought she was too old to use a student Metrocard.
The teen says two uniformed officers approached her and asked her to follow them. When she refused, they showed her their badges. She refused a second time, fearing the two were imposters. She then says she was dragged up a set of steps and told she need not be given an explanation as to why the officers wanted to speak with her.
Alexis was about to take the A train from 125th street from summer school to her marketing internship nearly two weeks ago.
Police asked her for ID but Alexis and her parents say she didn't have it because she was recently mugged.
Her mother was stunned when her husband called saying their daughter was detained by police.
"I said my daughter is not a criminal," says Marisol Sumpter. "She was crying. she was terrified. I couldn't see her at first they were surrounding her as if she was some sort of threat."
Her mom says 90 minutes and a birth certificate later 15-year-old Alexis was released. The family now has a lawyer. They're filing a lawsuit and keeping an eye on the police internal investigation.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york news, carolina leid
- Search continues for Malaysia Airlines plane 32 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Man in coma after Queens hit and run 22 min ago
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Search continues for Malaysia Airlines plane
32 min ago