New York News
Teen claims police manhandled her over Metrocard
NEW YORK (WABC) -- 15-year-old Harlem high school student Alexis Sumpter claims she was man handled and handcuffed by police because they thought she was too old to use a student Metrocard.
The teen says two uniformed officers approached her and asked her to follow them. When she refused, they showed her their badges. She refused a second time, fearing the two were imposters. She then says she was dragged up a set of steps and told she need not be given an explanation as to why the officers wanted to speak with her.
Alexis was about to take the A train from 125th street from summer school to her marketing internship nearly two weeks ago.
Police asked her for ID but Alexis and her parents say she didn't have it because she was recently mugged.
Her mother was stunned when her husband called saying their daughter was detained by police.
"I said my daughter is not a criminal," says Marisol Sumpter. "She was crying. she was terrified. I couldn't see her at first they were surrounding her as if she was some sort of threat."
Her mom says 90 minutes and a birth certificate later 15-year-old Alexis was released. The family now has a lawyer. They're filing a lawsuit and keeping an eye on the police internal investigation.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york news, carolina leid
- Queens third grader fatally struck by truck 26 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Woman dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire 19 min ago
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Mink coat thieves caught on camera at NYC boutique
- LI nativity theft being investagated as hate crime
- Target data breach leaves customers angry, frustrated
- Friday marks Walcott's last day while schools in session
- India demands apology for diplomat arrest in Manhattan 14 min ago
- Baruch frat involved in hazing death gets lifetime ban 9 min ago
- 9-year-old bowler in Florida tosses perfect 300