New York News
Alternate side parking causes more car use
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Ask any New Yorker, finding a parking spot can be almost impossible at times.
Add in street sweeping restrictions, and the parking pinch gets even worse.
Now a new study finds those parking rules may have an unintended side effect for other drivers in Manhattan.
Alternate side parking rules make us move cars to get out of the way of street sweepers.
You get in the car, get to the other side, or just drive the car!
A NYU study pins that down quantitatively, saying once we move it we often use it.
NYU professor and researcher Zhan Guo says the science is easy and the logic is there: the more we move our cars the more we use them.
"Street cleaning can cause people to use their cars more often," Guo said.
How much more? Between 3 and 7 percent which adds up!
Some neighborhoods have fought to drop from two cleaning days a week to one.
The thing is neighbors had to prove their streets were clean enough.
If more in New York did the same, it would save as many car miles per day as 26 trips around the earth!
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, alternate side parking, new york news, michelle charlesworth
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse
- String of carjackings in Elizabeth
- Triple stabbing at Stamford High School
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos