New York News
Communities come together for National Night Out
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Communities across the country were unified Tuesday night in a call to end gun violence.
The mayor bragged of low crime and a plummeting murder rate, but this summer's been marred by more and more shootings.
There have been some unusual, sad cases; a 4-year-old caught in the crossfire of a gun fight in the South Bronx and a 3-year-old shot and injured while playing in a sprinkler in Bedford-Stuyvesant.
Some of this wild summer was even caught on camera.
At a basketball tournament near the Polo Grounds complex, four men were injured when shots rang out. One was the son of Rhonda Bennett.
"All we want to do is tell people to stop, stop with the violence, learn to try to get along with each other," Bennett said, "It's just too much now."
Reverend Al Taylor's so frustrated that organized a march for Tuesday night and every night until Labor Day.
Police have responded by flooding crime scenes with more cops.
They've put up barricades sealing off certain troubled neighborhoods.
Security's noticeably tighter at basketball tournaments.
At a Night Out Against Crime there's hope that this rough summer will soon become a more peaceful autumn.
Hundreds of Brooklyn residents attended the "National Night Out Against Crime" event in Brownsville.
Organizers say this event was a great way for police and residents to meet in a positive way.
At a night out event in Westchester County, residents of White Plains were encouraged to join their neighbors and the police for a "going away party" for crime and drugs.
On Long Island, the National Night Out event was intended to strengthen neighborhood spirit and build partnerships between law enforcement and the community they serve.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, crime, new york news, dave evans
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center 22 min ago
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos 21 min ago
- Video shows burglar cashing in lotto tickets in Queens
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin 12 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- Suspect in Myls Dobson murder due in court
- New York City pre-K signups end on Wednesday 10 min ago
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ...
22 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos