New York News
Police: Boy accidentally drops baby out window
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A 3-month-old girl is recovering after apparently falling out of a window of a Bronx housing project Tuesday night.
The incident happened on the second floor of the Edenwald Houses at 1131 East 226th Drive around 9 p.m.
Witnesses say the girl landed on a first-floor air conditioner, then bounced to the ground.
She was taken to Jacobi Medical Center, where she is listed in stable condition with a fractured skull.
Police now say that after re-interviewing the family, it was the girl's 9-year-old sibling who dropped his little sister out the window.
The boy was holding the baby at the window, trying to get his mother's attention. She was outside on the street at the time.
That's when the boy accidentally dropped the child out the window.
Two uncles and an adult woman were inside at the time. No charges have been filed.
All of the apartments of the three-story building appear to have window guards, but the girl somehow squeezed through the bars.
The Edenwald Houses is the largest NYCHA development in the Bronx with 40 buildings and 2,036 apartments.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, baby, child injured, bronx, new york news
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police investigating double shooting in Brooklyn
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey aims for 2014 return to Mets
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97