New York News
National Night Out marred by multiple shootings
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Six people were shot in two triple shootings in the Bronx and Harlem in the overnight hours of the annual National Night Out Against Crime, a nationwide anti-violence event.
In all, eight people were shot in the city between the hours of 11 p.m. and 2 a.m.
The young men were shot in the torso area, while the girl was hit in the leg. They were all taken to Jacobi Medical Center and ae expected to survive.
Another three people were shot at West 143rd Street and Fredrick Douglass Boulevard in Harlem just before 2 a.m.
Two women were shot in the buttocks, and a male was shot in the arm. Two of the victims were taken to Harlem Hospital, while the third was taken to St. Luke's Hospital. None of their injuries are considered life threatening.
Two people were taken into custody in that shooting and are being questioned.
Also in Harlem, a man was shot twice at the intersection of Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Boulevard and West 114th Street at around 12:45 a.m. He was hit in the leg and hip and taken to St. Luke's with non-life threatening injuries.
And in Brooklyn, a male was shot outside 2601 Atlantic Avenue in East New York just before midnight. He was shot in the hip and also sustained non-life threatening injuries.
The 29th annual event is supposed to foster better relationships between police officers and the communities they serve. And Tuesday night's events were marked by a focus on the proliferation of illegal guns and a recent uptick in shootings that has rattled the city this summer.
Bloomberg said 20 recent graduates of the Police Academy will join the 32nd Precinct and added, "We are not going to let anyone keep our police officers from doing their jobs fairly."
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, manhattan, harlem, bronx, brooklyn, east new york, shooting, williamsbridge, new york news
- Heavy rain sparks flash flooding 13 min ago
- AccuWeather Alert: Drenching downpours
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Flash flooding in the New York area
- Boy attacked by another on city bus, video 14 min ago
- Boy Scouts to accept openly gay boys as Scouts 30 min ago
- Woman arrested in shooting death of Jersey City boy
- Students injured in Brooklyn pepper spray incident
- Anthony Weiner courts voters in Harlem Thursday 33 min ago
- The New DNA fingerprint: Cell phones
- Photographer chronicles wife's breast cancer battle
- abcnews: Oklahoma tornado: Before and after photos
- Secret Sales: Brownies, Diamonds and a super secret sale
- Anthony Weiner courts voters in Harlem...
33 min ago