New York News
Luxury condos coming to iconic Woolworth Building
NEW YORK -- These apartments will cost a lot more than a dime.
The tower of the iconic Woolworth Building, one of the city's most well-known structures, is going to be transformed into luxury condominiums.
The New York Times reports that an investment group has bought the top 30 floors of the landmark building for $68 million and plans to create 40 apartments. That includes a five-floor penthouse.
A spokesman for Alchemy Properties, a developer that is part of the investment group, said the project would cost about $150 million including the purchase price. The apartments are scheduled to be completed by 2015.
The building was finished in 1913 and housed the headquarters of the Woolworth Company, which ran five-and-dime stores.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york news
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow heads into NYC after hitting southern, central NJ
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- New warning about potentially dangerous toys
- MTA announces new safety measures after Metro-North derailment
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes
- Giants playoff hopes eliminated after Chargers loss
- Video: Phil Lipof says goodbye to Eyewitness News
- Broncos' Matt Prater sets NFL record with 64-yard FG
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos