New York News
El Al glitch offers cheap New York-to-Israel flights
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A three-hour glitch that drastically lowered round-trip airfare between New York and Israel on El Al Airlines created a run on tickets.
At least 5,000 tickets were purchased Monday after El Al posted fares for about $350, down from an average of $1,600.
The accidental deal on El Al flights from JFK airport to Tel Aviv was first discovered by a Twitter user. A buying frenzy quickly started after his post was picked up by the deal notification website, dansdeals.com. Many purchased tickets for members of their large families.
El Al blames the glitch on a contractor responsible for posting fares. It says it will decide this week whether to honor the tickets.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, air travel, airfares, new york news
- Autistic boy missing in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 2 dead after wreck on Southern State
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen