New York News
El Al glitch offers cheap New York-to-Israel flights
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A three-hour glitch that drastically lowered round-trip airfare between New York and Israel on El Al Airlines created a run on tickets.
At least 5,000 tickets were purchased Monday after El Al posted fares for about $350, down from an average of $1,600.
The accidental deal on El Al flights from JFK airport to Tel Aviv was first discovered by a Twitter user. A buying frenzy quickly started after his post was picked up by the deal notification website, dansdeals.com. Many purchased tickets for members of their large families.
El Al blames the glitch on a contractor responsible for posting fares. It says it will decide this week whether to honor the tickets.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, air travel, airfares, new york news
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse
- String of carjackings in Elizabeth
- Triple stabbing at Stamford High School
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos