New York News
El Al glitch offers cheap New York-to-Israel flights
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A three-hour glitch that drastically lowered round-trip airfare between New York and Israel on El Al Airlines created a run on tickets.
At least 5,000 tickets were purchased Monday after El Al posted fares for about $350, down from an average of $1,600.
The accidental deal on El Al flights from JFK airport to Tel Aviv was first discovered by a Twitter user. A buying frenzy quickly started after his post was picked up by the deal notification website, dansdeals.com. Many purchased tickets for members of their large families.
El Al blames the glitch on a contractor responsible for posting fares. It says it will decide this week whether to honor the tickets.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, air travel, airfares, new york news
- Islam at center of 9/11 Memorial criticism
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool 12 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Boy found dead on building scaffolding in Bronx
- Yanks pitcher Pineda ejected for substance on neck
- Police search for arson suspect in Brooklyn
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- Gunfire in Central Islip after drug deal goes bad
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
12 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos