New York News
Levi Aron pleads guilty in Leiby Kletzky murder
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A man accused of abducting and dismembering an 8-year-old boy who got lost on the way home entered a guilty plea to avoid trial.
Levi Aron appeared in Brooklyn supreme court to enter the plea. He answered a series of questions from the judge where he said he killed Leiby Kletzky. He has previously pleaded not guilty to killing Kletzky, who went missing while walking home from religious day camp.
State Assemblyman Dov Hikind has said Aron as part of the deal would expect to be sentenced to life on August, 29th.
Prosecutors struck the deal in close consultation with Kletzky's family, the assemblyman said. The boy's disappearance and horrific death last year stunned his tight-knit Hasidic community in a section of Brooklyn represented by Hikind.
For Kletzky's family, the loss of their only son has been almost too much to bear.
"They're strong, tremendous faith in God, but not easy, you know, someone is always missing from the table," Hikind said.
Leiby was kidnapped on July 11, 2011 after getting lost on the first day he'd been allowed to walk home alone from his day camp.
He stopped to ask directions from Levi Aron, also a member of Brooklyn's Orthodox Jewish community, but instead of helping him, Aron is charged with luring Leiby to his apartment, where he allegedly drugged him, murdered him and dismembered his body.
The randomness and brutality of the crime inspired sympathy from around the globe.
"Leiby is my son, your son, and everyone's son, everyone got it, the tragedy, of what unfolded here during those days," Hikind said.
The Kletzky family is said to be happy that at least there will be closure in the criminal aspect of this tragedy. Although the family will not be in court Thursday, they will be following the proceedings closely.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, levi aron, leiby kletzky, new york news
- Retired NYPD officer charged in wife's murder
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Brooklyn man dies in skydiving accident in New Jersey
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Boston Marathon goes off under tight security
- Teen survives flight riding in wheel well of Hawaii jet
- Woman charged in fatal hit-and-run in Stamford
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Coney Island double stabbing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Lindsay Lohan admits miscarriage on her reality show
- Photos: Lindsay Lohan in pictures
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos