New York News
NYPD returns to possible Patz crime scene
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The NYPD Friday returned to the former SoHo bodega where Etan Patz may have been lured to his death to continue a search that started earlier this week.
Etan Patz was last seen alive in 1979 in the area of the bodega.
On Wednesday, the NYPD went into a previously sealed room in the basement, possibly a room used to store coal.
Six bags of evidence were removed from the basement Wednesday.
Investigations determined the evidence removed contained nothing of significance. It was described mostly as old garbage.
Detectives also took new photos of the scene.
The NYPD returned Friday and is continuing their work in that closed area, including collection of more possible evidence and taking photos.
This is approximately the fifth time the NYPD has returned to this location since the Pedro Hernandez arrest. They have so far recovered no forensic evidence linking Hernandez to the death.
The FBI is not involved in today's search.
An assistant district attorney from the Manhattan District Attorney's office and a representative from the Medical Examiner's Office are both present at today's search, but they are also not involved in the searching.
Hernandez has been charged with 2nd degree murder in the case.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york news
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms
- Man arrested in Queens anti-Muslim harassment on bus
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera
- Man caught on camera using cloned ATM card 29 min ago
- BridgeGate panel could call Gov. Chris Christie to testify
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87 29 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014 18 min ago