New York News
Elderly man killed by hit and run driver
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police are looking for the hit and run driver who struck and killed an elderly man in Brooklyn on Friday night.
The accident happened on Rockaway Parkway and Avenue J in Canarsie just before 9 Friday night.
Police say a car slammed on its brakes to avoid hitting 81-year-old Luis Ruiz.
A second car rear-ended the first, causing it to hit the victim.
The man flew through the air and struck the second car.
The driver in the first car stayed at the scene.
The second driver fled the scene. The car was described as a dark colored sedan.
So far there are no arrests.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, canarsie, hit and run accident, new york news
- Metro North train collision to affect service all week
- AccuWeather: Humid week ahead, with showers
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Suspect in critical condition after NJ police shooting
- Tornadoes slam Midwest; 1 dead in Oklahoma
- Hofstra remembers Andrea Rebello at graduation
- Taylor Swift wins 8 trophies at Billboard Awards 52 min ago
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus identified 38 min ago
- Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida
- Video: Who will win the Indianapolis 500?
- Photos: Photos from the Billboard Awards
- Photos: Tornado rips through Oklahoma
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers