New York News
Mother accused of strangling toddler to death
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A mother is under arrest accused of strangling her 2-year-old son to death in Queens.
Prosecutors say 29 year-old Afriyie Gaspard now admits she put her hands around her toddler's neck.
When he started crying uncontrollably, she allegedly told detectives that her two year-old son Izayah was kicking, and screaming.
And that she strangled him until he stopped.
Her relatives are distraught. Stefanie Gaspard told reporters that her sister has five children ranging in age from nine to nine months. And is incapable of hurting any one of them.
Police say it happened on Friday afternoon.
That the child was rushed to New York Hospital, Queens when his mother called 911 to say her son had stopped breathing.
An autopsy later confirmed that Izayah had been strangled.
Prosecutors say Afria Gaspard admits she left her child in his crib after he had stopped crying, and returned after 45 minutes to discover he had stopped breathing.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, child death, queens, new york news, n.j. burkett
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach 20 min ago
- Jersey City water main break isolated; Water back on
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- Next City Council Speaker likely Melissa Mark-Viverito 53 min ago
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- O' Christmas tree, you're alive?! Student scares school
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos