New York News
Community outraged after 4 teens shot in Brooklyn
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Four teenagers are recovering Tuesday after getting shot at a playground in Brooklyn, and to say that members of the community are fed up is an understatement.
Now, police are trying to track down the gunman, who may have sped off on a bicycle.
The incident happened on the basketball court in Fish Playground on Fulton Street in Ocean Hill around 6:30 p.m. Monday.
"It sounded like fireworks," one witness said.
The series of gunshots rang out at the Brooklyn playground when police say a teen on a bicycle opened fire at a group of young people.
Police say two 16-year-old boys were shot in the arm, while an 18-year-old man and a 13-year-old girl were grazed in the back. People in the neighborhood are outraged by the violence.
"Our own kids can't go and play basketball in the park," father and Brooklyn resident Douglas Wright said. "Can't have fun, enjoy your kid life. Can't be a kid no more."
It is unclear what provoked the shooting or if the victims were the intended targets. But it is just the latest in a series of shootings involving young people this summer.
"It's almost like the community is accepting this as a way of life, our young people that are actually doing these shootings," anti-violence activist Geoffrey Davis said. "And it's not a way of life. So we're extremely outraged and at the same time hurt. They're taking innocent lives, and they're hurting innocent people, and this stuff has got to stop. And we've got to get mad enough, get everybody out here to get angry enough to say we want this to stop and we want it to stop now, and do something about it."
All four victims are expected to survive. The 13-year-old girl has already been treated and released from the hospital.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, shooting, brooklyn, new york news, marci gonzalez
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- U.S. Attorney defends arrest of Indian diplomat
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- Next City Council Speaker likely Melissa Mark-Viverito
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- O' Christmas tree, you're alive?! Student scares school
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos