New York News
Community outraged after 4 teens shot in Brooklyn
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Four teenagers are recovering Tuesday after getting shot at a playground in Brooklyn, and to say that members of the community are fed up is an understatement.
Now, police are trying to track down the gunman, who may have sped off on a bicycle.
The incident happened on the basketball court in Fish Playground on Fulton Street in Ocean Hill around 6:30 p.m. Monday.
"It sounded like fireworks," one witness said.
The series of gunshots rang out at the Brooklyn playground when police say a teen on a bicycle opened fire at a group of young people.
Police say two 16-year-old boys were shot in the arm, while an 18-year-old man and a 13-year-old girl were grazed in the back. People in the neighborhood are outraged by the violence.
"Our own kids can't go and play basketball in the park," father and Brooklyn resident Douglas Wright said. "Can't have fun, enjoy your kid life. Can't be a kid no more."
It is unclear what provoked the shooting or if the victims were the intended targets. But it is just the latest in a series of shootings involving young people this summer.
"It's almost like the community is accepting this as a way of life, our young people that are actually doing these shootings," anti-violence activist Geoffrey Davis said. "And it's not a way of life. So we're extremely outraged and at the same time hurt. They're taking innocent lives, and they're hurting innocent people, and this stuff has got to stop. And we've got to get mad enough, get everybody out here to get angry enough to say we want this to stop and we want it to stop now, and do something about it."
All four victims are expected to survive. The 13-year-old girl has already been treated and released from the hospital.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, shooting, brooklyn, new york news, marci gonzalez
- Missing plane may have turned back 24 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Violence in Bronx leaves 1 dead, 1 injured 47 min ago
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Stage collapses at California high school: 30-40 hurt
- Sen. Rand Paul wins CPAC presidential straw poll 6 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Missing plane may have turned back
24 min ago