New York News
Ring falls into sand during proposal
NEW YORK (WABC) -- It was the picture perfect beach proposal, right on the Rockaway Beach boardwalk, under the moonlit sky.
That is until a nervous fiancée dropped the ring after popping the question.
As luck would have it, the ring fell in between the cracks of the boardwalk, landing 20 feet below and disappearing into the sand.
"I love my ring, it's beautiful," said Kerry Abrams, fiancée.
A one karat solitaire, set in white gold is the fruits of a long, laborious summer for teacher's aide, Kye Weaver.
"I thought at the beginning of the summer that this is the woman I wanted to marry. I worked from 8 O'clock in the morning until about 10 O'clock at night sometimes, all to save up for the ring," Weaver said.
Monday marked his two year anniversary with his girlfriend, Kerry Abrams. So a stroll along the boardwalk on Rockaway Beach seemed like the perfect time and place to propose.
"I kneeled down on one knee and I said, 'I want to spend the rest of my life with you' and we open the box and the ring falls out of the box, through the grates, onto the sand, 20 feet below," Weaver said.
"I didn't even get to see the ring, it flew out the box and into the sand and from there it was an interesting night," Abrams said.
So the couple rushed down underneath the boardwalk to find it. After an hour or so, other people joined in the search. Weaver even went home, and got the screen from his bedroom window to sift through the sand.
"I called a couple of friends up, came back out with shovels and more screens," Weaver said.
After three hours of searching unsuccessfully, Kerry's mom told her to say the St. Anthony's prayer. And then at that moment, they found it.
"Tony, Tony look around, something's lost and can't be found, and then the guy pulled up the ring, right at that moment," Weaver said.
Talk about one for the books.
"It's a great story, didn't ruin it at all," Weaver said.
"I was just happy to have the man, I knew I wouldn't lose him," Abrams said.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, rockaways, marriage, new york news, darla miles
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted 1 min ago
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate 57 min ago
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight saving time wrong 54 min ago
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Rangers top Red Wings 3-0 in Lundqvist's 300th win