New York News
Jamaica church to host gun buyback this weekend
NEW YORK (WABC) -- There is a gun buyback program set for this weekend in Queens.
Anyone who hands in a legal or illegal gun on Saturday will receive a $200 gift card.
The guns will be accepted at the New Jerusalem Baptist Church in Jamaica.
Local officials hope the buyback will get weapons off the street and help stem the rising violence in the borough.
Similar buyback programs have recovered nearly 7,700 guns, but the fresh supply seems never-ending. Just last week, NYPD Sergeant Craig Bier was shot in both legs in the area.
The gun used to Bier was from Virginia, the number one source of guns used in New York City crimes.
The hunt is still on for the suspected gunman, 24-year-old John Thomas, of Queens. He's been spotted in Pennsylvania, Maryland, North Carolina and Virginia, and there's now a $32,000 reward for his capture.
Police say it's just a matter of time.
"You're hiding, but we're going to get you," a police official said. "The question is how?"
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, queens, jamaica, gun buy back, new york news
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Surveillance released in shooting of 9-year-old boy
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- Prosecutors likely to reduce charges in SUV assault
- Video: Two US astronauts set to spacewalk to fix ISS
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos