New York News
Jamaica church to host gun buyback this weekend
NEW YORK (WABC) -- There is a gun buyback program set for this weekend in Queens.
Anyone who hands in a legal or illegal gun on Saturday will receive a $200 gift card.
The guns will be accepted at the New Jerusalem Baptist Church in Jamaica.
Local officials hope the buyback will get weapons off the street and help stem the rising violence in the borough.
Similar buyback programs have recovered nearly 7,700 guns, but the fresh supply seems never-ending. Just last week, NYPD Sergeant Craig Bier was shot in both legs in the area.
The gun used to Bier was from Virginia, the number one source of guns used in New York City crimes.
The hunt is still on for the suspected gunman, 24-year-old John Thomas, of Queens. He's been spotted in Pennsylvania, Maryland, North Carolina and Virginia, and there's now a $32,000 reward for his capture.
Police say it's just a matter of time.
"You're hiding, but we're going to get you," a police official said. "The question is how?"
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, queens, jamaica, gun buy back, new york news
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control 57 min ago
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner 46 min ago
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead 14 min ago
- Photos: Stolen jewelry items in Ramsey robbery