New York News
Family calls for investigation into police shooting
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The family of a woman shot and killed by an NYPD detective is speaking out against him.
23-year-old Shantel Davis, who had a lengthy criminal record, was shot by detective Philip Atkins two months ago.
Her family is calling for a grand jury investigation, claiming the shooting was unjustified.
Community leaders and relatives of the woman left the Brooklyn District Attorney's Office late Thursday afternoon after demanding a grand jury investigation, but what they got was something less than that.
"I wasn't necessarily comfortable with everything he said or how he said it, but he was honest," said Kirsten John Foy, of the National Action Network.
It happened two months ago.
Shantel Davis died at the hands of a plainclothes NYPD detective after she allegedly crashed a stolen car, refused police commands to get out, and was shot in a struggle as the car lurched backward.
"The penalty for operating a stolen motor vehicle is not death," said Sanford Rubenstein, the family's attorney.
Ms. Davis had a lengthy arrest record and was awaiting trial in an attempted murder case at the time of the shooting.
The officer who fired the shot has reportedly been the target of half-a-dozen brutality lawsuits.
"We're grateful to District Attorney Hines for conducting this investigation, for the energy that they are putting into this investigation and for meeting with this family and hearing their concerns," Foy said.
Louise Davis is the woman's grandmother.
"I raised my baby, for 23 years and they kill my baby just like that. I want justice for my child, I love my baby, I miss my baby!" Louise Davis said.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, police shooting, shooting, brooklyn, new york news, n.j. burkett
- Los Angeles earthquake felt by residents 3 min ago
- Guinness drops St. Pat's Day parade sponsorship
- AccuWeather: Snow for some
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Shelton teen critical after being shot in head 14 min ago
- Cop shoots pit bull in Bronx apartment building
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn
- Rubble cleared, East Harlem blast investigation ramps up
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Crimea parliament declares independence after vote
- Russian media warns of turning US into 'radioactive dust'
- Chris Brown kicked out of rehab, facing jail time
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Photos: 2014 NYC Half Marathon