New York News
New York City picks Tavern on the Green operator
NEW YORK -- New Yorkers are another step closer to returning to Central Park's Tavern on the Green restaurant.
The city Parks Department announced Thursday that officials have selected an operator to receive a 20-year lease to run a restaurant and cafe at the historic venue.
Officials want to give the lease to the Emerald Green Group, which plans to create a locally-sourced restaurant with outdoor seating for at least 200. Katy Sparks would be the executive chef.
The deal will only be completed if union contract negotiations and other reviews are successful.
The original Tavern on the Green closed on New Year's Day in 2010. An earlier deal with Dean Poll, who operates the Loeb Boathouse restaurant along the Central Park lake, fell through when union negotiations failed.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, tavern on the green, new york news
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix 37 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow heads into NYC after hitting southern, central NJ 11 min ago
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- Yaphank church badly damaged by fire
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes
- Suspect charged with assaulting cop with cane
- Potential major advancement made in fight against leukemia
- NJ restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- Video: Phil Lipof says goodbye to Eyewitness News
- Geno Smith leads Jets to victory over Raiders 28 min ago
- South Africans pray for Mandela in day of mourning
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
37 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos