New York News
Queens buyback collects more than 500 guns
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Amid a rash of shootings in New York City this summer, officials in Queens sponsored a gun buyback initiative on Saturday that collected 509 firearms.
Anyone who handed in a legal or illegal handgun at the New Jerusalem Baptist Church in Jamaica received a $200 gift card. 245 revolvers and 168 semi-automatic pistols were among the recovered guns as well as an AK 47, tec-9, and a Calico 9mm with a 50 round magazine.
The effort was held in the same neighborhood where Police Sergeant Craig Bier was shot in both legs while working with an anti-gang unit last week.
"While our children are in the streets dying, basically and to a large extent shooting one another, there are too many guns," said Queens Congressman Gregory Meeks.
"Too many people who are looking to guns as an answer to resolve problems."
Since the program's city-wide inception, over 8,200 weapons have been recovered.
Authorities are offering a $32,000 reward for information leading to an arrest in connection with the wounding of Sgt. Bier.
Police believe the suspect, John Thomas, has been in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia and North Carolina.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, jamaica, queens, gun buy back, gun violence, new york news
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- Fort Lee students to make up snow days
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Ferry service to resume between Haverstraw, Ossining
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos