New York News
Ramadan incident investigated as hate crime
STATEN ISLAND (WABC) -- This apparent hateful act is now the focus of an investigation and Muslim leaders are speaking out against it.
Fifteen-hundred Muslims, had gathered for prayers at the end of of the month long fast of Ramadan, filling a city-owned field on Sunday morning. Most all of them were unaware of an ugly discovery made by organizers before the celebration.
"We just know that it was raw parts of pork," Muneer Awad, Council on American-Islamic Relations, said. "It was scattered around the area where they would hold prayers."
Three packages of raw pork, according to police, had been scattered. It was quickly picked up and disposed of before the faithful had come to the park.
The Council on American-Islamic Relations is speaking out about it now in hopes of raising awareness.
"While it is not physically threatening it is the symbolism of trying to tell American Muslims that they are unwelcome in the community by trying to intimidate and threaten them," Awad said.
Now investigating the incident as a possible bias crime, the NYPD is interested in derogatory comments made by someone on a website associated with the event.
"We're trying to locate the individual who made the comments. The statement came from somebody who identified himself as 007 midland," Commissioner Raymond Kelly said.
Islamic leaders on Staten Island too are calling on elected officials to speak out against Sunday's incident. Area residents visiting the park today were aware of what had happened from news reports. They too were quick to condemn the hateful act.
"Unfortunately, it's a sad situation. I don't agree with it at all. Not all. Let everybody enjoy themselves. It's sad," Venditti said.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, staten island, hate crime, new york news, tim fleischer
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 37 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach 51 min ago
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing
- NASA astronauts make spacewalk for urgent repairs
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil Robertson's hiatus
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
37 min ago