New York News
Medical Examiner's Office gives couple wrong remains
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A Brooklyn couple is returning to Poland Tuesday with the body of their stillborn son months after a mixup led to the burial of the wrong child.
Justyna and Rafal Sliwa thought they'd laid their baby to rest in Poland in June.
But then New York City's Medical Examiner's Office told them they'd been given the wrong remains.
Justyna was five months pregnant when the couple found out their child had no heartbeat, and doctors later induced labor.
The New York Post is reporting that last week, they received their son. And now, they are returning to their family's burial plot.
The Sliwas reportedly have no idea what baby they buried and prayed over, who they now need to exhume and return to the United States.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, new york news
- East Harlem debris cleared in search for cause 41 min ago
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Mayor names Kathryn Garcia new head of sanitation
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt
- Photos: Bus hits cars in Brooklyn
- Man, 65, shot to death on street in Clinton Hill
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit
- LI hospital flooded with phone calls after insulin scare
- Malaysian leader: Plane's system deliberately disabled
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $400 million
- East Harlem debris cleared in search for...
41 min ago