New York News
Medical Examiner's Office gives couple wrong remains
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A Brooklyn couple is returning to Poland Tuesday with the body of their stillborn son months after a mixup led to the burial of the wrong child.
Justyna and Rafal Sliwa thought they'd laid their baby to rest in Poland in June.
But then New York City's Medical Examiner's Office told them they'd been given the wrong remains.
Justyna was five months pregnant when the couple found out their child had no heartbeat, and doctors later induced labor.
The New York Post is reporting that last week, they received their son. And now, they are returning to their family's burial plot.
The Sliwas reportedly have no idea what baby they buried and prayed over, who they now need to exhume and return to the United States.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, new york news
- Man shot multiple times in Nassau County 32 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Comfortable
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- At least 6 hurt when car jumps curb in East Village 52 min ago
- Robbery suspect dead in Brooklyn police shooting
- TWA Flight 800 crash investigators want new probe 34 min ago
- Woman allegedly kicks police dog in teeth
- Natura recalls all brands of dry pet food
- Strollers recalled due to wheel blowouts , Kolcraft says 24 min ago
- Vince Flynn, best-selling author, dies 35 min ago
- Slim Whitman, country singer, dies
- Photos: East Village bodega crash
- Photos: Most endangered historic places
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos