New York News
Transit officers stumble upon mugging, suspect shot
HAMILTON HEIGHTS (WABC) -- One of two transit officers who caught a homeless restaurant robber accidentally shot the suspect in the leg on a Hamilton Heights sidewalk, officials said.
The officers were walking towards the No. 1 line subway station when they saw the suspect running from a Mexican restaurant at Broadway and West 140th Street just after 10:00 Tuesday night.
The suspect had swiped $40 from a person waiting to pay the bill, investigators said.
The officers, who were on duty, quickly grabbed the suspect and dropped him to the ground. A brief struggle ensued as the homeless man refused to be handcuffed.
While one transit officer got him cuffed, the second officer holstered his pistol and one shot fired.
The suspect, 47-year-old Richard Pearson, was struck in the right calf. He was taken to Harlem Hospital in stable condition.
Pearson is a homeless man who has an extensive rap sheet, including assault and weapons possession. He was charged with petit larceny and resisting arrest. He was also charged with criminal possession of a controlled substance after a suspected crack pipe in his pocket. He is also suspected in a cell phone robbery of a woman earlier in the evening.
Pearson was not believed to be armed with a gun.
The 30 year old officer who fired the shots was placed on administrative duties pending the outcome of the investigation.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, hamilton heights, mugging, police shooting, new york news, anthony johnson
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault 48 min ago
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Photos: Boston Marathon: One year later
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- 3 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village...
48 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos