New York News
Proposal for outlet mall on Staten Island
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The Staten Island Ferry is the scenic route for thousands of commuters and an estimated two million tourists each year, tourists who venture off the boat, have a look-see.
"Looking for a drink or something, nothing, nothing, there's nothing," said Kelly Stephenson, an Australian tourist.
"Looked for something to eat. There wasn't much, so we decided to go back to Manhattan," said Gary Pare, a British tourist.
It's why local politicians feel that developing this waterfront property would be a game-changer.
Wednesday they confirmed that the city is negotiating with at least three developers who've submitted proposals for two sites, right near the ferry terminal and the ballpark, and one of the proposals would bring outlet stores right near the ferry.
"Just think how much easier it would be if tourists could get to a Staten Island outlet mall on a 20 minute boat ride as opposed to an hour and half bus ride," said State Senator Diane Savino, of Staten Island.
The Staten Island borough president hoping any sort of development revitalizes the borough.
An additional proposal on part of the land is calling for a Ferris wheel near the ballpark.
"I predict there would be a hotel built on this side, maybe two hotels," said James Molinaro, Staten Island Borough President.
It would give tourists a reason to spend more time and money across the harbor.
Now even though the Bloomberg administration is currently tossing around this idea, city council would still need to approve it.
So, it's unlikely anyone would break ground here, until after the mayor leaves office.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, staten island, new york news, stacey sager
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 5 injured when car crashes into Bronx store
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC 59 min ago
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UConn sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing 58 min ago
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act