New York News
Pedestrian killed in Financial District accident
LOWER MANHATTAN (WABC) -- A pickup truck apparently used by private security that protects the area around the New York State Exchange struck and killed a 70-year-old pedestrian on Thursday afternoon.
The crash occurred in front of the barricades that block Broad Street to vehicular traffic.
The man, who may have been eating Chinese food, was pinned by the truck against a building. He was rushed to New York Downtown Hospital in critical condition. He later died. His name has not been released.
The 50-year-old driver of the silver Honda pickup truck was also taken to the hospital with less serious injuries.
A woman, 31, scraped her knees while trying to avoid the truck. She is listed in stable condition at New York Downtown Hospital
The large pickup trucks are frequently seen at the street closures used to protect a radius around the New York Stock Exchange.
Police say no criminality is suspected, but the accident remains under investigation.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, lower manhattan, accident, new york news
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Railroad Administration orders Metro-North to use 2 engineers
- Train derail victim's brother speaks out about her death
- Surveillance video released in "Baby Angel" case
- abcnews: North Korea Deports US War Vet Merrill Newman
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- 'Tips for Jesus' man leaves tips worth thousands
- Beltran, Yankees agree at $45M, 3 years
- Secret Sales: Diamonds, pretzels and iPhone cases