New York News
Pedestrian killed in Financial District accident
LOWER MANHATTAN (WABC) -- A pickup truck apparently used by private security that protects the area around the New York State Exchange struck and killed a 70-year-old pedestrian on Thursday afternoon.
The crash occurred in front of the barricades that block Broad Street to vehicular traffic.
The man, who may have been eating Chinese food, was pinned by the truck against a building. He was rushed to New York Downtown Hospital in critical condition. He later died. His name has not been released.
The 50-year-old driver of the silver Honda pickup truck was also taken to the hospital with less serious injuries.
A woman, 31, scraped her knees while trying to avoid the truck. She is listed in stable condition at New York Downtown Hospital
The large pickup trucks are frequently seen at the street closures used to protect a radius around the New York Stock Exchange.
Police say no criminality is suspected, but the accident remains under investigation.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, lower manhattan, accident, new york news
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky 20 min ago
- AccuWeather: Chilly Wednesday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Numbers for Mega Millions $636 million jackpot drawn
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- LIE in Suffolk County reopens
- Family pushes for drug/alcohol testing after fatal accidents
- EXCLUSIVE: Suspect arrested in 'knockout' assaults
- Short Hills Mall shooting: Funeral arrangements announced
- ACS workers reach plea deal in girl's death
- Anchorman 2 cast talks about much-anticipated sequel
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway 22 min ago
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos