New York News
Two people shot near Yankee Stadium
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Two people were shot just blocks from Yankee Stadium on East 161 Street.
The two victims are being treated at Lincoln Hospital.
Both were shot in the stomach and both are in stable condition.
Eyewitnesses say it's incredible more people weren't hurt in this shooting that happened right outside Yankee Stadium.
After dropping his gun on the ground, the well-dressed shooter, sporting a dark suit and a hat, laid out on the ground and surrendered to police on East 161st Street.
Cell phone video shows officers swarming the area to arrest him.
His revolver was just a feet away.
"I heard bam, bam, bam, bam. And this lady came over and told me to get down," said Mark White, an eyewitness.
"I don't know what happened between him and that person, but he shot that man twice. He came back and shot him," said Debbie, an eyewitness.
It all happened around 1:30 Thursday afternoon just a block away from Yankee Stadium.
"If there was a game going on, it probably would have been a disaster," White said.
Even though it wasn't a game day, eyewitnesses say the streets were packed when a man started shooting at a street vendor.
Bloody clothes next to a newspaper stand mark the spot where the carnage happened in broad daylight.
Police say the violence revolved around a dispute between the shooter and one of the victims.
"This is a very good neighborhood that's reviving," said Cary Goodman, executive director of the 161st Business Improvement District.
Goodman says crime isn't rampant around Yankee Stadium anymore.
He believes this incident will in no way deter the Yankee faithful from coming to the Bronx to root for their team.
"It's a neighborhood on the rise coming back, people are coming together. Unfortunately just like anywhere else in the city. You can have a tragedy that mars it, but hopefully," Goodman said.
The suspect has not yet been identified by police.
He's still being questioned by investigators.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york yankees, shooting, bronx, new york news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead 17 min ago
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler 40 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway 50 min ago
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea
- Man arrested for arson in Water Mill fire
- Suspect questioned after body found in container 32 min ago
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Death toll in South Korea ferry tragedy reaches 58 12 min ago
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- Pope Francis celebrates Easter with prayers for peace 25 min ago
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
40 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos