New York News
Ice rink in the Bronx finds new support
BRONX (WABC) -- It is the largest armory in the world, five acres big, 95 years old and it sits locked up and empty.
"And to have this much space in our community and nothing's happening in it, it just makes me sad," Alice McIntosh, neighborhood leader, said.
But now the Bronx Borough President is backing a plan to build nine ice rinks inside the Kingsbridge National Ice Center.
"It is our hope today to continue that positive momentum and to bring perhaps the greatest ice sports center that the world has ever known," Borough President Ruben Diaz Jr.
For the show of support, Olympic gold medalist Sarah Hughes was on hand and so was hockey legend Mark Messier, who says someday NHL players could come from the Bronx.
"I don't see why not. That is hopefully the dream of some of the kids here," Messier said.
The vision of a national ice center in the Bronx does have some competition. Another group wants to put basketball and rock climbing inside, along with a gym, shops and maybe even a place to dance.
Competing developers learned Wednesday night of Rivera's endorsement of the ice rink plan.
"Surprised and very disappointed, but we have to respect his decision," Margaret Lee, Youngwood Associates, said.
The decision is ultimately up to Mayor Bloomberg, but support from Diaz does carry a lot of clout.
City officials in the Mayor's office were supposed to make their decision by the end of the summer on what's to be built here. That deadline could be pushed to the end of the year. After today, the scales may have tipped ever-so-slightly in favor of that ice rink plan.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, kingsbridge national ice center, ice, new york news, dave evans
- Bus accident on Route 3 in Clifton 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach 41 min ago
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken 42 min ago
- 10 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in Newark
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response 39 min ago
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark
- Annual 'Pokey,' 'Schleppie' awards for MTA bus service
- Rangel announces run for 23rd term
- Jersey City main breaks; boil water advisory in effect
- Screw Magazine publisher Al Goldstein dies at 77
- Georgia winner of Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved...
41 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos