New York News
Shooting victims from Midtown Shooting begin to speak out
MIDTOWN (WABC) -- One of the victims that was injured in the Midtown Shooting on Friday has been released from the hospital and is speaking out.
Surrounded by cameras and reporters as he left Bellevue Hospital, 23-year-old Robert Asika told Eyewitness News exactly what happened to him when the bullets started flying, outside the Empire State Building.
"I mean, it was just crazy, you know, I was really scared the bullet went in, and came out my right arm," he said. "I'm very, very lucky, very blessed," he adds.
Even though he says he believes his injury was from police gunfire in all the chaos.
"The way the guy was standing, there was no way it would be the guy. It was the police officers that hit the people that got hit," Asika adds.
Robert says he certainly understands that officers had a job to do and things could have been much worse.
Louis Ileras' 30-year-old sister, Erica Solar was also shot in the leg.
"You know, I mean, it's in the news all the time, but for it to hit me, you know like so close, is too much," she said.
Mayor Bloomberg visited the survivors. And investigators now believe that all nine bystanders were struck, in one way or another by police bullets. Robert says he's convinced of that.
Erica Solar was getting a cup of coffee when she was struck in the leg.
"She was just nervous she was going to lose her legs. I kept telling her you're all right," said Christopher Collins.
The shooting happened Friday morning when police say Jeffery Johnson shot and killed a man he used to work for. Johnson was eventually shot and killed by police.
LINK: READ MAIN STORY
Some information from the Associated Press
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, empire state building, crime, shooting, new york news
- U.S. Air plane makes belly landing at Newark Airport 50 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warm and mild 47 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Connecticut, NTSB officials to tour train crash site 7 min ago
- 2 win Mega Millions, Powerball jumps to $600 million 7 min ago
- 5 people injured, struck by vehicles in the Bronx
- Vigil held for Hofstra shooting victim
- EXCLUSIVE: Hot oil attack speaks out after hospital release
- Bieber will have to pay for German monkey business
- Vito Lopez announces resignation from NY Assembly
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport 44 min ago
- Photos: Metro North trains collide, at least 60...
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- AccuWeather: Warm and mild
47 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos