New York News
9-year-old boy shot in the Bronx
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A 9-year-old boy was shot in the Bronx Monday night just blocks from Yankee Stadium.
Police say the 9-year-old was shot in the lower left leg by a stray bullet.
The injury is non-life threatening.
He's being treated at Lincoln Hospital.
The shooting happened blocks from Yankees Stadium on Walton Avenue near East 157th Street about an hour before first pitch between the Yankees and Blue Jays.
Police say it's not clear who the intended target was.
"I heard the shots and I looked out the window and I saw the guy walking that way," said Miguel Dominic, an eyewitness.
Miguel Dominic said the shooter looked no older than 16.
"He was running with a gun, the gun was even bigger than him," Dominic said.
"I just heard about the shooting, and it just sprung me into action," said Sidney Flores, a community activist.
Not long after the shooting, crime stoppers fliers were everywhere, posted by Flores who says enough is enough.
"I'm out here to tell people we need to take our streets back. We need to patrol our neighborhoods and form community volunteer groups," Flores said.
There is still no word from police on a suspect or a description.
This is the second shooting in recent days near Yankee Stadium.
Last Thursday, two people were shot by a street vendor on the corner of 161st Street and Gerard Avenue.
Both victims, 41 and 60, survived the shooting.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, child shot, new york news
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn 6 min ago
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
6 min ago