New York News
Ambulance and SUV crash, 2 dead
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A paramedic from Staten Island University Hospital was among two people killed in a violent collision on Staten Island Monday night.
The accident happened just after 7 p.m. on Hylan Boulevard near Seacrest Avenue in Eltingville.
Police say a BMW SUV was traveling northbound on Hylan Boulevard when for some reason it crossed the divider and struck an ambulance that was heading in the opposite direction.
The ambulance was transporting a patient from the hospital's North Site to the South Site when the accident happened.
The paramedic, 58-year-old David Restuccio, who was initially trapped inside the ambulance, was pronounced dead at Staten Island University Hospital North.
David Restuccio had been a medic for 30 years and was one of the first responders on September 11th when he worked for the FDNY.
The driver of the BMW was ejected from the vehicle and pronounced dead at the scene.
There were two other people in the ambulance, a second paramedic, 34-year-old Yusuke Yonehara, and the patient being transported. They were also taken to the North Site where they're listed in stable condition.
Police have Hylan Boulevard shut down in both directions for an accident investigation.
It's not clear what caused the BMW to cross into oncoming traffic.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, staten island, accident, new york news
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery 8 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Missing autistic boy found in Brooklyn
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines