New York News
Broken finger joint causes chaos on upper GWB
NEW YORK (WABC) -- It was a tire-busting night for more than 20 drivers who took the upper level of the Manhattan-bound George Washington Bridge Tuesday.
At least 21 cars suffered flat tires or other damage because of a broken finger joint in the roadway. The broken finger joint was basically a piece of broken metal sticking up from the roadway.
The cars broke down near the exit ramp to the West Side Highway.
Traffic was backed up for miles as crews repaired the bridge and drivers had their cars towed.
At one point, the delays getting across the bridge stretched to 90 minutes.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, george washington bridge, new york news
- South Plainfield High School lockdown lifted 53 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives 32 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Queens third grader fatally struck by truck 1 min ago
- Teen dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire 41 min ago
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt 28 min ago
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- LI nativity theft being investagated as hate crime 38 min ago
- Target data breach leaves customers angry, frustrated
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- Friday marks Walcott's last day while schools in session
- 9-year-old bowler in Florida tosses perfect 300
- Photos: Staten Island quintuplets through the years
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3...
28 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
32 min ago