New York News
Broken finger joint causes chaos on upper GWB
NEW YORK (WABC) -- It was a tire-busting night for more than 20 drivers who took the upper level of the Manhattan-bound George Washington Bridge Tuesday.
At least 21 cars suffered flat tires or other damage because of a broken finger joint in the roadway. The broken finger joint was basically a piece of broken metal sticking up from the roadway.
The cars broke down near the exit ramp to the West Side Highway.
Traffic was backed up for miles as crews repaired the bridge and drivers had their cars towed.
At one point, the delays getting across the bridge stretched to 90 minutes.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, george washington bridge, new york news
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms
- Man arrested in Queens anti-Muslim harassment on bus 44 min ago
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span 44 min ago
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera 15 min ago
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Boston rice cooker suspect sent to psych hospital