New York News
Broken finger joint causes chaos on upper GWB
NEW YORK (WABC) -- It was a tire-busting night for more than 20 drivers who took the upper level of the Manhattan-bound George Washington Bridge Tuesday.
At least 21 cars suffered flat tires or other damage because of a broken finger joint in the roadway. The broken finger joint was basically a piece of broken metal sticking up from the roadway.
The cars broke down near the exit ramp to the West Side Highway.
Traffic was backed up for miles as crews repaired the bridge and drivers had their cars towed.
At one point, the delays getting across the bridge stretched to 90 minutes.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, george washington bridge, new york news
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx 7 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower 23 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze being laid to rest 45 min ago
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- Sketch released of suspect in Queens attempted luring
- Baby critical after DWI firefighter hits pregnant woman
- Man stiffs livery cab driver, punches him in the face
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay 47 min ago
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze...
45 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
23 min ago
- Russians, Crimeans discuss referendum on...
27 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos