New York News
Young boy found wandering, no charges for mom
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The mother of a 4-year-old boy found wandering alone on a busy Manhattan street will not face child endangerment charges.
A building super in Washington Heights says he did not realize Chase Grady was staying with relatives at his building, so he took the child to the 30th Precinct stationhouse when he found him wandering along Amsterdam Avenue.
Almonte says because of his limited English, he just knew Grady was lost.
The child's mother, 29-year-old Tori Grady, spoke with police and child welfare investigators, who concluded it was all a big misunderstanding.
A family friend says Tori Grady and her son had come up from Georgia to visit the boy's grandmother, and that little Chase must have thought it was okay to just go out and play like he does at his own home.
"It was devastating," Tori Grady said. "All I want to do is thank my neighborhood, 1833 (Amsterdam Avenue), my family and everything, for sticking up for me."
Chase was taken to Columbia Presbyterian Hospital to get checked out, and it was determined he is in good health.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, washington heights, wandering child, new york news, carolina leid
- 3 critical after fire tears through Brooklyn home 34 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt 29 min ago
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Mink coat thieves caught on camera at NYC boutique 18 min ago
- Target data breach leaves customers angry, frustrated 23 min ago
- New York Army cadet accused of emailing child porn 31 min ago
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
- String of carjackings in Elizabeth
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident