New York News
Taxi driver accused of charging fake tolls
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Eyewitness News really tried to find out his side of the story.
35-year-old cab driver Emad Wanass is accused of dreaming up bridges and tunnels just so he could charge his passengers for the tolls 273 times!
It allegedly occurred in only six months of driving a yellow cab.
Eyewitness News asked him if he overcharged passengers by creating bridges and tunnels that didn't exist.
"No, no, I don't know," Wanass said.
At times, it was difficult to determine whether he was struggling with English or just struggling.
"I don't understand because I speak Arabic," Wanass said.
"You understand how to work the meter in the cab?" Eyewitness News asked.
"You understand me, I don't know what happened," Wanass said.
Here's what Eyewitness News does know; an example of his scam, according to the Taxi and Limousine Commission is that Wanass took someone from 5th Avenue to 3rd Avenue and charged them a random $4.80 toll. So the trip cost them $12.70!
Wanass seemed just as fed up with the city as the city is with him.
First he tried to rip up his medallion license, but he can't figure out how to get it out of the plastic, and then, he insisted that Eyewitness News take it.
"I don't want your medallion license, it's your license," Eyewitness News reporter Stacey Sager said.
"Yes," Wanass said.
"You don't want to be a cab driver anymore?" Sager asked.
"No, because this hack license make a lot of problem for me," Wanass said.
In fact, this was not his first offense and Wednesday he was a no-show at his own hearing.
"You're quitting, you're done?" Sager asked.
"No more! No more! No more!" Wanass said.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, taxi, new york news, stacey sager
- Winter Weather Advisory
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- No tailgating to be allowed at NY/NJ Super Bowl
- Newtown families create website to honor Sandy Hook victims
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash