New York News
Man assaulted near ferry terminal, then run over by cop
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A man badly beaten outside the Staten Island Ferry Terminal was then unintentionally run over by an off-duty NYPD officer.
Police say the 33-year-old victim was assaulted by two men on Richmond Terrace around 2:35 a.m. Thursday.
The suspects fled the scene in a taxi, leaving the victim lying in the street in front of the ferry terminal.
He was then accidentally run over by a passing black Ford Explorer driven by the off-duty cop. The driver, who did not see the victim lying in the street, stopped and called police.
The victim was rushed to Richmond University Medical Center in serious but stable condition.
The driver of the SUV was talking to investigators.
The two suspects in the initial assault have not been caught.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, staten island, assault, pedestrian struck, new york news
- Dozens killed in Oklahoma tornado
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help, Get Help 38 min ago
- Metro North New Haven Line to be back Wednesday 3 min ago
- NYPD detective accused of hacking, spying on associates
- Ex-priest arrested after working with kids in NJ
- Wake to be held for slain Hofstra student as questions linger
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- blog: Mirror Ball Blog: Dancing with the Stars
- Photos: Dancing with the Stars Finals
- Photos: Most Wanted: Yonkers Police Department
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- AccuWeather: Warm And Humid
57 min ago
- Oklahoma tornado death toll revised to 24,...
11 min ago