New York News
Man assaulted near ferry terminal, then run over by cop
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A man badly beaten outside the Staten Island Ferry Terminal was then unintentionally run over by an off-duty NYPD officer.
Police say the 33-year-old victim was assaulted by two men on Richmond Terrace around 2:35 a.m. Thursday.
The suspects fled the scene in a taxi, leaving the victim lying in the street in front of the ferry terminal.
He was then accidentally run over by a passing black Ford Explorer driven by the off-duty cop. The driver, who did not see the victim lying in the street, stopped and called police.
The victim was rushed to Richmond University Medical Center in serious but stable condition.
The driver of the SUV was talking to investigators.
The two suspects in the initial assault have not been caught.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, staten island, assault, pedestrian struck, new york news
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach
- Jersey City water main break isolated; Water back on
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Blind man and dog rescued will stay together
- O' Christmas tree, you're alive?! Student scares school
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments 50 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos