New York News
Police pursuit ends in wrong-way crash
BRONX (WABC) -- Eight people, including 2 police officers, have suffered minor injuries in a wrong-way accident that followed a police pursuit on the southbound Major Deegan Expressway in the Bronx.
NewCopter 7 was over the scene in Mott Haven where police were chasing a vehicle on the Major Deegan Expressway.
Investigators say the driver of the vehicle hit a truck, was spun around and began driving the wrong way.
Witnesses say it began near the RFK/Triboro Bridge when officers in an unmarked police cruiser apparently ordered the driver to pull over.
Eight motorists were struck by or collided with the suspect as he was being chased.
The 18 year-old suspect was arrested without a scratch after the stolen car was cut-off and trapped by two police cruisers.
Two police officers were taken to the hospital with minor injuries. The six civilians who were hurt also suffered minor injuries.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, major deegan expressway, accident, police chase, new york news, n.j. burkett
- 3 critical after fire tears through Brooklyn home 21 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Mink coat thieves caught on camera at NYC boutique 51 min ago
- Target data breach leaves customers angry, frustrated 56 min ago
- MTA launches new apps for LIRR, Metro-North riders 45 min ago
- New York Army cadet accused of emailing child porn
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Bus accident on Route 3 in Clifton
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident