New York News
Cop responding to Bronx robbery hurt in crash
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A police officer responding to the grocery store robbery and potential hostage situation in the Bronx was seriously injured when his cruiser collided with an SUV.
The crash happened about a mile away from the standoff situation, at the intersection of East 163rd Street and Third Avenue in the Morrisania section.
CLICK HERE for more on that story.
The impact was so powerful that the officer was trapped in the vehicle and had to be extricated using the Jaws of Life
He was rushed to Lincoln Hospital with neck and back injuries. The injuries are not believed to be life threatening.
The driver of the SUV, identified by his wife as Andres Baez, was also rushed to the hospital. His wife says he was coming home from work when he was hit.
"My husband called the house, 'I'm dying, I'm dying, the cop just hit me,'" Carmen Baez said. "We ran, because we live two blocks away. So that's what we know. When we came, my husband was already in the ambulance."
Investigators are trying to determine who was at fault in the incident.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, morrisania, accident, police officer injured, new york news, anthony johnson
- 'Sopranos' actor James Gandolfini dies at 51 1 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: More sunshine 49 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Joe Torre's daughter catches child from awning
- Teacher charged with rape of student in the Bronx
- Leonia firehouse reopens after sex assault
- UFT endorses Thompson for NYC mayor
- TWA Flight 800 crash investigators want new probe
- Upstate NY men accused of trying to make X-ray weapon
- Body found near Patriot's home was homicide victim
- Whistle-blower taped guards sleeping at JFK airport
- Photos: James Gandolfini through the years 25 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013
- AccuWeather Forecast: More sunshine
49 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos