New York News
ASPCA fears dogs died from poison in park
NEW YORK (WABC) -- There's a warning to dog owners who walk their pets in the park.
The mysterious deaths of the four dogs are now under investigation.
Now the ASPCA is connecting the dots and worrying these dogs may have been poisoned.
Matthew Wood and Emily Picard fear what happened to their dog "Tugs" could happen to someone else's pet.
"When I walked into the apartment he was in clear distress," said Matthew Wood, dog owner.
The 6-year-old French bulldog Boston terrier mix died after a walk through Riverside Park in July.
"He collapsed started having a seizure, he was foaming bleeding out of the mouth," Wood said.
The same thing happened to Kim Heismann's terrier mix.
"This didn't just happen out of the blue," Heismann said.
It also happened to Natalia Mari's Chihuahua.
"It's still hard to think he's not even here," Mari said.
All four live in the same building on West 137th Street and all of their dogs died after a walk in Riverside Park. They say the pets exhibited the same symptoms.
"Before we could get to the door Charlie collapsed," the devastated owner said.
It is a mystery, and over the last two and a half months they have not gotten any answers; was there some sort of poison in the park? Or was it something else?
For now they have their suspicions.
"My belief is an individual has decided to poison dogs in the neighborhood because they don't like dogs," Heismann said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, hamilton heights, riverside, new york news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead 16 min ago
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler 39 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway 49 min ago
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea
- Man arrested for arson in Water Mill fire
- Suspect questioned after body found in container 31 min ago
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Death toll in South Korea ferry tragedy reaches 58 11 min ago
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- Pope Francis celebrates Easter with prayers for peace 24 min ago
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
39 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos