New York News
Couple sues Hooters over racial slur on receipt
FRESH MEADOWS, Queens -- A Korean immigrant has sued a Hooters restaurant in Queens for racial discrimination after discovering an ethnic slur on his food receipt.
According to the lawsuit filed by Kisuk Cha, the computer receipt he and his girlfriend received for a July 1 takeout order contained the slur "Chinx."
The suit was filed Monday in Brooklyn federal court.
Cha's attorney, Daniel Baek, said his client was shocked and threw away the food when he got home.
A lawyer for the restaurant franchise said the food server whose name appeared on the receipt was cleared after a hostess admitted she wrote the ethnic slur.
Edward McCabe said the hostess has apologized and resigned.
The suit names Hooters of America, the owners of the Queens franchise and the two workers.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, queens, new york news
- Snow Alert issued in NYC for Tuesday 17 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Multiple children injured in Toms River bus accident 7 min ago
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa
- Tough new NYC cockroaches can withstand winter cold
- No tailgating to be allowed at NY/NJ Super Bowl 13 min ago
- Newtown families create website to honor Sandy Hook victims 37 min ago
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Snow Alert issued in NYC for Tuesday
17 min ago