New York News
Smuggling bust at JFK raises security concerns
NEW YORK (WABC) -- More than a dozen workers at John F. Kennedy International Airport are under arrest in what investigators say was a multi-million dollar liquor smuggling ring.
Fifteen food service workers and three security guards were taken into custody.
The mission to bust them was called Operation Last Call, and it exposed a serious lapse in security at the airport. All the suspects had access to the tarmacs and to the planes.
The suspectss are alleged to have worked together for years in a liquor smuggling ring that stole $20 million in alcohol from American Airline planes at JFK.
The Port Authority Inspector General says a former Sky Chef worker was the head of the operation, storing tens of thousands of the stolen mini bottles of alcohol in his house before selling them to bodegas.
Perhaps most disturbing is the arrest of three private security guards who controlled access to the planes, but allegedly sold out their trust and looked the other way in exchange for some of the stolen liquor.
The IG's office says Sky Chef food service workers swiped 7,500 bottles off American Airlines planes daily. That 18 JFK security-vetted workers are now under arrest raises serious questions about what else workers might be smuggling off, or more worrisome, on to planes.
American Airlines said in a statement that they are working closely with authorities in this ongoing investigation.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, queens, jfk international airport, new york news, jim hoffer
- Oil slicks spotted in hunt for missing Malaysian jet 29 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92 53 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Oil slicks spotted in hunt for missing...
29 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos