New York News
Smuggling bust at JFK raises security concerns
NEW YORK (WABC) -- More than a dozen workers at John F. Kennedy International Airport are under arrest in what investigators say was a multi-million dollar liquor smuggling ring.
Fifteen food service workers and three security guards were taken into custody.
The mission to bust them was called Operation Last Call, and it exposed a serious lapse in security at the airport. All the suspects had access to the tarmacs and to the planes.
The suspectss are alleged to have worked together for years in a liquor smuggling ring that stole $20 million in alcohol from American Airline planes at JFK.
The Port Authority Inspector General says a former Sky Chef worker was the head of the operation, storing tens of thousands of the stolen mini bottles of alcohol in his house before selling them to bodegas.
Perhaps most disturbing is the arrest of three private security guards who controlled access to the planes, but allegedly sold out their trust and looked the other way in exchange for some of the stolen liquor.
The IG's office says Sky Chef food service workers swiped 7,500 bottles off American Airlines planes daily. That 18 JFK security-vetted workers are now under arrest raises serious questions about what else workers might be smuggling off, or more worrisome, on to planes.
American Airlines said in a statement that they are working closely with authorities in this ongoing investigation.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, queens, jfk international airport, new york news, jim hoffer
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time 57 min ago
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo 56 min ago
- Success Academy parents to sue in charter school fight 18 min ago
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos