New York News
Woman, 73, attacked and raped in Central Park
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A 73-year-old woman says that she was raped and robbed in Central Park, and the NYPD has released surveillance video.
The woman says it happened at around 11:50 a.m. inside the park at 72nd Street on the Upper West Side.
NYPD detectives used flashlights as their search for evidence continued into the night.
The brazen midday assault and rape all but shut down that section of the park.
Across the city, the search is on for the man in the photograph released by police.
It was captured by a surveillance camera. In it, the man is seen walking down a city street.
Late Wednesday, police also released a surveillance video of the man wanted for questioning.
The attack happened shortly before noon in an area of Strawberry Fields that according to police is, "off the beaten path."
Police say the woman was in the park bird watching.
"He was doing some act, may have been exposing himself or something along those lines. She, we believe, may have taken a picture of him and he then sexually assaulted her," Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said.
Eric Ozawa, a college professor, found the woman in the bushes.
"She told me she had been raped and beaten and someone had taken her bag," Ozawa said.
That bag, law enforcement sources say, is the backpack the man in the picture has on him, and in his left hand.
Investigators believe he may speak with a Russian accent.
So far, Eyewitness News is told that police don't know who he is or where he was headed.
In the park, across from the Dakota, home to the rich and famous, a crime scene is what's drawing people's attention right now.
In a place, most people say, they usually feel safe.
"Never take for granted your safety and always be aware," said Michael Gonzalez, an area resident.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, central park, rape, robbery, new york news, jeff pegues
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn 30 min ago
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler 2 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash 9 min ago
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified 54 min ago
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody 10 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Man retrieving item from tracks hit by subway train
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
9 min ago
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
2 min ago