New York News
13 hurt, 3 critically, in Bronx apartment building fire
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A second-alarm fire that tore through a Bronx apartment building injured 13 people, three critically, late Wednesday.
Numerous residents were rescued after firefighters arrived on University Avenue just after 11:15 p.m.
Three residents were pulled from an apartment on the rear of the second floor, where the fire is believed to have started.
Those residents, a 50-year-old man, a 34-year-old woman and a 4-year-old child, were in critical condition.
Firefighters from Ladder 46 also rescued two residents, a man and woman, from a fifth-floor window.
The man severely cut himself while trying to break through the window to escape. He and the woman were also treated for smoke inhalation.
Three firefighters were also treated, mainly for shoulder and back injuries.
The victims were taken to North Central Bronx Hospital and New York Presbyterian Hospital.
The fire spread heavy smoke throughout the building, prompting numerous residents to be overcome by thick smoke. Firefighters believe the configuration of the building contributed to the smoke spreading through the stairwell and hallways.
The fire took about an hour to get under control. The cause was not immediately known.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, fire, new york news
- Bill Bratton named next Police Commissioner
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Who is Bill Bratton?
- Photos: Bill Bratton, next NYPD Police Commissioner
- FSU's Jameis Winston not charged in sex assault case 22 min ago
- Carteret freight train derailment: Turnpike reopens 51 min ago
- Alleged assault of Seton Hall student may be captured on video
- Fast food workers demonstrate to demand higher wages
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs
- Newtown 911 calls released
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Photos: Hazmat crews respond to Carteret freight...
- Carteret freight train derailment: Turnpike...
51 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos