New York News
Wal-Mart unable to make deal in Brooklyn
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Wal-Mart will apparently not be coming to Brooklyn and will continue its search for a spot to call home in the city.
The company released a statement saying, "Wal-Mart today announced that we were unable to agree upon economic terms for a project in East New York. We remain committed to bringing new economic development and shopping options to New York City, especially in the neighborhoods that need them most. Two things remain constant: most New Yorkers want us here and we remain interested in providing more convenient access to Walmart for local residents. We appreciate all our supporters: the Mayor's office, Borough President Markowitz, Reverend Youngblood and countless others in and outside East New York, who helped us strengthen local relationships and build bridges with the community. In addition to providing good jobs and affordable groceries, residents want a retailer in Brooklyn that would hire and buy local, and look to make a positive economic impact by hosting job fairs, workforce development initiatives and supplier summits. Wal-Mart will continue to evaluate local opportunities across all five boroughs."
Stuart Appelbaum, the President of the Retail, Wholesale and Department Store Union (RWDSU) released a statement on the Announcement of Related Companies and Shop-Rite Agreement for Gateway II saying, "Once again, the people of New York City have said no to Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart's destructive ways of doing business hurt communities, the environment and working people. New York has shown again that it expects better than Wal-Mart."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, wal-mart, new york news
- At least 8 hurt when car jumps curb in East Village 14 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Comfortable
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Robbery suspect dead in Brooklyn police shooting
- Worker pulled from waist-deep mud in Queens trench
- One of US FBI's 10 most wanted nabbed in Mexico
- New York City redesigns flood map in Sandy's wake
- Natura recalls all brands of dry pet food
- Woman allegedly kicks police dog in teeth
- TWA Flight 800 crash investigators want new probe 58 min ago
- JFK terminal among endangered historic sites
- Photos: Most endangered historic places
- Photos: Queens trench rescue 12 min ago